So I guess what I'm asking is if there a way to get either of these apps to upload a file with a new name and rename it after the upload is complete with one click. Obviously, this doesn't entirely solve the problem, but it does reduce the potential.

Actually, it *would* entirely solve the problem. Renaming a file is an atomic operation, there's no point at which anybody could get a partial file. People still reading the old file would be fine too, even if the rename happened while they're in the middle of reading; the old file is readable until they close it.

This is all on Unix-ish platforms, though. Windows servers are probably all screwed up about it.

inodes are wonderful things.

But now it occurs to me to wonder whether UFS over HFS+ fully emulates this behavior.

I've used it in rotating httpd logs, and it seems to work.

--
Joel Rees
Re-inventing the wheel --