On Jun 3, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Ken Williams wrote:

On Jun 2, 2005, at 10:16 AM, Bill Stephenson wrote:
So I guess what I'm asking is if there a way to get either of these apps to upload a file with a new name and rename it after the upload is complete with one click. Obviously, this doesn't entirely solve the problem, but it does reduce the potential.

Actually, it *would* entirely solve the problem. Renaming a file is an atomic operation, there's no point at which anybody could get a partial file. People still reading the old file would be fine too, even if the rename happened while they're in the middle of reading; the old file is readable until they close it.

Peter pointed out in a private email that this isn't reliable using FTP's rename functionality (if your FTP even supports it) - what I meant in the above, though I wasn't clear, was to use /bin/mv on the server, not a rename through the FTP connection.

 -Ken