This has been an interesting discussion but, unfortunately, my first
question about getting CPANPLUS to work is nowhere near resolved. I'll
have to do a bit more research in that area.

As for the second question about setting up my BBEdit environment, Doug
McNutt's solution of putting everything I need in
   $HOME/.MacOSX/environment.plist
has worked perfectly. After reading through "BPRuntimeConfig.pdf" from
the Apple developer site I thought I could even be more BBEdit specific
and put its environmental stuff in an LSEnvironment dictionary in
   /Applications/BBEdit.app/Contents/Info.plist
-- but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Regards,

Vic