At 17:03 +0100 8/24/06, David Cantrell wrote:
>Run the CPAN shell as root as all will be well.

Idonwannadodat!

Although I have root privileges on all machines around here there are still two
of use who install things and I much prefer NOT to step on the War Department's
toes. She's the one who keeps my Linux OS's up to date and I rarely know
whether it's Fedora or Ubuntu because I log in from OS neXt..

My solution is to use the --prefix option in ./configure to point to

--prefix $HOME/local

In $HOME/local/ there are the usual directories one of which is
$HOME/local/bin/ or in some cases $HOME/perl/.  I see to it that the PERL5LIB
environment variable gets set to one or the other of those. My $PATH is set to
look at the $HOME/local/bin/ directory first.

The result is that I can compile and install without being root. My stuff does
not get any chance to screw up something like a system update from Apple or
some Linux distribution. I happily accept the responsibility for fixing things
up if such an update requires changes to my stuff. My own perl modules end up
in $HOME/local so there can be no accidental naming confusion.

The problem is - - - How do I tell cpan to do things that way? - especially
when there is a batch of dependencies to worry about.

--
--> The message came to Abraham that he would beget a son. Sarah, who was
behind the door, laughed. <--