There are other issues in the MacOS X for manual installation or modules such as where the modules are install. The manual method may put them in /usr/local instead of in /Library. Be careful.

'sfunny. I actually prefer to load my machine-wide modules in /usr/ local. Maybe it's just the warm fuzzies, but I prefer to avoid giving the installation process a chance to walk on modules the system uses.

Of course, I also refrain from updating the system perl by installing my own machine-wide non-system perl in /usr/local, as well. That allows the system update process to proceed without doing such things as bumping into a perl I've already updated past the version the system update process wants to update.

It used to be that such a course was the default when you used CPAN, but I haven't re-installed perl in about a half year or so.