*ahem*

He may be in a position to answer this question definitively. :-)

FWIW, I didn't see Ed saying that it had been 5.8.8 in _10.4_ for quite a while. (His mode of expression was, admittedly, a bit ambiguous.)

But, unless, 10.4 is tracking a different version between uNTEL and PPC, my system perl is 5.8.6 with all the current 10.4 updates installed.

Joel Rees

(Yeah, contrary to brags I made when Apple switched,
I haven't had the money to move my home server to
openbsd yet. First it was the Japanese input method in
Fedora Core wasn't good enough to ask my wife to use
the FC box. That's up to snuff, now, but I find that the
Mac fills some of the gaps that the Linux box doesn't
cover, letting me share data with the MSWorld. Now
I'm waiting for an ARM processor that runs at 3 GHz
to come out, so Jobs will find himself faced with the
question of switching again.
In my dreams?)