On May 23, 2022, at 21:16, Chris Jones wrote:

> On 23 May 2022, at 9:59 pm, Steven Smith wrote:
>
>>> What has changed between the time that the buildbot built the package and
>>> the time that the user installs it?
>>
>> The certs in curl-ca-bundle are updated regularly to clear out expired certs.
>>
>> Per the previous discussion, privoxy-pki-bundle uses these certs via a
>> depends_lib, and unless a port revision is added by hand, the port
>> inevitably will contain expired certs.
>>
>> The “solution” appears to be to bump the revision of privoxy-pki-bundle by
>> hand whenever curl-ca-bundle is updated. I’m trying to identify a more
>> automated and robust way of accomplishing that.
>
> The simple solution then is to just put a comment into the curl-ca-bundle
> port next to the version/revision asking whomever updates it to bump the
> revision of privoxy-pki-bundle at the same time. This simple but generally
> effective solution is used in a number of ports with similar situations and
> works well most of the time. I see no need to do anything more complex here,
> particularly not to automate things such that the same port file installs
> different things at different times. That lack of reproducibility is
> definitely not wanted.

Right, this is what I already recommended. I'm happy to revbump
privoxy-pki-bundle whenever I update curl-ca-bundle, but will forget if not
reminded via a comment.

I do see that privoxy-pki-bundle depends on
path:share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt:curl-ca-bundle, which means that certsync
could also satisfy it. Whereas curl-ca-bundle is updated by me whenever mozilla
releases a new certdata.txt, certsync installs a launchd plist that monitors
the user's Keychain and whenever it is modified, it runs a program to generates
a new ca bundle. If you intend to handle that situation, then you could do
something similar and install a launchd plist that monitors the ca bundle and a
program to regenerate your files whenever the ca bundle changes. Then revbumps
would not be needed.