On Oct 19, 2007, at 4:42 PM, Lenore Horner wrote:
Why isn't pear (is that the source of the perl5.8 ?)

I think the poster wrote 'pear' when 'perl' was what was meant.

going to be broken by having its version of the file overwritten with the one gimp wants?

no. The file in question is from the p5-pathtools port, it supplies a newer (but still compatible) version of a library that is included with the normal perl distribution. Due to some peculiarities with how perl searches for libraries, it is necessary to overwrite the provided version with the new version for most software to be able to load it.

Of course, one reason to use macports is that other people (the port maintainers) have thought about these kinds of questions and so normally things 'just work'.

--
Daniel J. Luke