My perception is that the "xcode-select --install" is not needed, as the message below indicates.  For me, every time Xcode is updated, the first time I start it following its update I am prompted to update components, and the current version command line tools are installed.  Perhaps the manual xcode-select is required if you don't actually start Xcode the application following its update.

My experience with MacPorts and Big Sur (as before with Catalina) was to simply follow the MacPorts update instructions, after updating and starting Xcode as described above, but without that manual xcode-select step.

Regards,