> Same here: installing XCode and opening it once seems to install command line
> tools. At least they are listed in Preferences as installed (at the same path
> as XCode.app).
> Seems as if no separate install is required with 12.x anymore.

I’m agreeing with Ryan here.

Opening Xcode 12.2 did indeed update components, but it did *not* update the
Command Line Tools.

I downloaded the Command Line Tools 12.2 Installer from Apple, and got all new
stuff, including the MacOS 11 SDK and a newer version of clang that matches the
one in Xcode.

So — I had to use the installer to update the CLTs.

Ken