I think that, too long, screen access was more reactionary because,
for the most part, when new technology comes into the marketplace,
developers have been scrambling to "keep up," rather than put the
universal design in their products in the first place.  And it's for
this reason, Apple encourages developers to use the scripts built into
the operating system.