hi,
i use bold, underline in text edit.
for eg. i write my document and then i spell check and format by
selecting and performing bold , underline ecc.
i handle a lot of tables using open office.
it does not read heading of the colum or row and i have a little tip
for this.
if i have to fill the table i copy and paste the deading in the entire
colom , then i overwrite it.
when i comlete the table i paste it in text edit or document of open
office.
for bullets one can use iwork or open office.
i know it is not perfect but  there is  alway a way to do the things.
rk