Think about smart mailboxes as instant SpotLight searches and you
shouldn't have too many problems.  For example, if you have the
"unread" flag in the Smart mailbox and then you read the message you
really don't want that message to instantly disappear from the mailbox
do you? So I believe the behaviour is that it will search when you
first activate the box, but any new messages will not jump into the
smartbox automatically.

So if you are always looking for mail from Jenny since she  usually
has the right answers, then a smart mailbox might be the way to go.

I have been making a "Interresting People" group in my addressbook
that I plan on using as a input to a smart mailbox. Then I can see
what all these folks are up to even when I am way behind on my active
mail reading.  I'll let everybody know how that goes.

Jon