Again in defense of NLs.
It is a library, Library content is free.  Not downloadable at a cost as
in that of getting to the items.  Not offered for a subscription, but
free.
The players are to serve the majority of their readership  who are
older, or children, or whatever, and again be
free.
The copyright reasons alone forestall the i-phone idea, but most of all is
the fundamental purpose of this library.
To provide content to those who qualify, no matter their background or
financial status, no matter their access to  other computer technologies,
no matter even if they own a computer or a cell phone.
There are and can be other places for what you desire, but the nls
should not be one of them.  It undermines the entire purpose of a library,
where one can walk in and walk out with a book and enjoy that book.  So
Ben Franklyn conceived it, so the congress legislated it ages back,  and
so it is.
I am curious though, who designed the new players?  I am profoundly
pleased, head and frankly entire bodies above the stream, for my use at
least, and I am only expert on my use, so  have been
wondering about the cost value for my
insurance...its worth it.
Karen