Terrific Post.  I'm going to need to reread it before I comment much
as you present a whole lot of information in a small space.

I would think, though, that instead of a flat map, maybe we mape the
positions onto a curved space as the slice  of an elipse?  This would
provide some spatial information, would work well with the current
location at the center of the slice and would represent a better
simulation of how humans hear in the forward direction.  Also, some 3D
plotting will be necessary so as to "project" the map image some bit
of distance in front of the userso it floats in space like a heads up
display on a airplane or some automobiles.

We're in house guest mode so my response further may take some time
but I think you are onto something really cool.

Happy Hacking,
cdh