  From: Esther
  To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:20 PM
  Subject: Re: Updating Mac 10.5 (password)

Hello,

I assume that Jonathan is suggesting you go into System Preferences.

1. VO-Shift M to navigate to the Apple Menu bar, where "VO" means hold down
the Control and Option keys together with any other keys listed as part of
the instructions).
2. Press "s y" quickly or Arrow down to get to the "System Preferences"
menu option and press enter.
3. In the System Preferences window press tab or use VO-Right Arrow to
navigate to the "Accounts" button (about 20 presses)
4. VO-Space to select "Accounts"
5. In the Accounts Menu, VO-Right Arrow from the toolbar to the Groups and
Login Options list and interact (VO-Shift-Down Arrow).
6. The first item should be your friend's account, and you'll hear his
login name followed by a description of his account access level, such as
"Admin", "Standard", or "Sharing Only". What gets announced as his account
access?

If your friend does not have "Admin" status, you cannot run the system
update from his account.  Is there some other account listed in the login
options list that says "Admin"? As Jonathan says, you should be able to use
the install DVD to set up an Admin account and password if one is not
present, but the problem is that if there were any other system actions
that have been performed that required login and password, you will lose
the record of these permissions that have been kept in the system's
keychain permission records.  If your friend does have Admin status, you
can try to stop interacting (VO-Shift-Up arrow), and tab over to the
"Change Password" button and press it (VO-Space).  Problem is, you'll have
to type in an old password (twice, to verify your typing) and then a new
password.  If there really was no old password, you can leave the old
password field empty and just press enter each time, then type in your new
password.  But if you couldn't just type in a new password the way that Max
suggested, the chances are that there was a password set up, but your
friend either didn't know it or has forgotten it, because he has set up his
machine to allow him to automatically log in. Remember when you type user
name and password that these entries may be case sensitive.

I'm not sure how to proceed if this is the case and you can't set a
password.  You should be able to insert the original install DVD and
restart holding down the "C" key.  After you turn on VoiceOver with either
Command-F5 or Fn-Command-F5 and get past the keyboard and language screens
you should be able to go to the menu bar with VO-M and right arrow over to
Utilities, then choose an option to Reset Password.  I'm not able to check
this here, so maybe Jonathan or someone else can assist.  However, if you
do reset the password you can use that password to run the updates.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther

Dr.Khalid wrote:
 >Hi!

  How can I check the account pain and change the password from there ?
BTW, I'm still new to the world of Mac and VoiceOver -- however, I'm
enjoying this new world so much ..

  Best
  Khalid