You don't need a guide at all.  In fact all you need to do is insert
the DVD and either restart the machine and hold down the letter c
until you hear the DVD begin being accessed by the Mac, insert the
DVD, open System Preferences, select startup disk, and choose the Snow
Leopard DVD, select restart, confirm you want to restart by selecting
restart, and wait for the chime, and as with my previous steps, you
wait for the DVD to stop spinning, you press command-f5 to launch
VoiceOver. You also have the option to launch the installer on the
DVD, which will basically perform the same steps as I explained and
will reboot the machine for you.  Basically once the DVD has stopped
spinning, you can press command-f5 or function-command-f5 for laptops,
and VO will launch.
If any of my steps are confusing or you have questions, please let me
know.  However, once VO is up and running, you'll have no problems at
all installing/upgrading the os.