Hi James,

No, I haven't made the jump to Snow Leopard yet, but TeXShop is just
fine in Leopard.  I had to use a program that wasn't upgraded to Snow
Leopard so I delayed upgrading my system.  I was trying out a recently
released freeware program called "Language Switcher":

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/home_learning/languageswitcher.html

This is interesting, and it's a way to open specific applications in a
language that you select, but I think I managed to alter some of my
preferences files when I ran this, and I need to clear that up before
upgrading.

There are some oddities when running  Language Switcher with
VoiceOver, since I think you're supposed to select the application you
want is to click on a visually selected item in a scrolling area.
With VoiceOver, you should just interact with the toolbar and type in
the (first letters of the) application you want, then VO-Right arrow
to hear the current application announced and the number of languages
that are supported, then select your language on the pop-up button.  I
would start by navigating to the Edit menu bar and selecting "Show
Apps", which brings up a dialog window of all the apps in your
Applications Directory.  Uncheck the ones you don't want to switch
languages to (i.e. most of them).  The first of your checked apps to
show up in alphabetical order appears as the startup selection.  I had
a little difficulty unchecking items in multiple sessions.  It can
also act oddly if you happen to have a file that is not an application
in your apps directory (like a script).

If you're feeling adventurous you can give this a shot.  It opens up
mail, TextEdit, etc. with a specific language localization, so that
the window names, spell checker, etc. are set to that language.  For
instance, if you open up TextEdit in French, your window will be named
"Sans titre" instead of "Untitled".  And it will only show you
languages that have localizations for these apps -- if you've stripped
out the other language support at installation, or if an app does not
come with localization in a particular language, you won't see that
language as an option.

Cheers,

Esther