Hi Jonathan,

If I change my shell from bash to one that supports environment
variables like tcsh, then issuing a setenv command in terminal shows
there is a "LANG" environment variable:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Mac OS X lets you launch applications with a switch for the language
localization "-AppleLanguages"  this takes a 2 letter argument
enclosed in parentheses which are in turn enclosed in single quotation
marks. Earlier this year a 4G iPod Nano user reported that he could
not access the music and podcast tabs for his device when the iPod was
connected (to check or uncheck entries) to his computer, although it
synced fine, and all the Nano spoken menus (in German) worked correctly.

I launched iTunes with a German language localization with a terminal
command:

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes -AppleLanguages '(de)' &

and found that when I connected my iPod Nano 4G I could no longer
access these tabs with VoiceOver, although they were perfectly
accessible to me in the English language version of iTunes.  A quick
experiment showed that when the list member forced his version of
iTunes to launch with an English localization from the terminal, he
had no problems accessing the tabs with VoiceOver and checking or
unchecking his selections:

/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes -AppleLanguages '(en)' &

So his solution was to report the problem to the accessibility team
and use iTunes in German for his regular use, but launch it in English
for the purposes of changing the synced content by accessing the
checkboxes on the music and podcasts tabs when he connected his iPod
Nano 4G.  (The problem was fixed in iTunes 8.2.1, so he no longer has
to do this!).

There's an easier way for people to set the language localization of
an app (in Leopard) through the GUI.  If you do a "Get Info" (Command-
I) on a selected application file, the "Get Info" window has an area
that VoiceOver announces as "Languages: expanded disclosure
triangle".  If you navigate past this, there is a table of available
language localizations preceded by checkboxes. Unchecking all but one
of the boxes and saving your changes means that the next time the app
is opened, it will have to open in the only checked language
localization -- even if that is not the default language for the
account.  This language localization information and selection feature
that shows up under Get Info  for apps appears to have been removed in
Snow Leopard.

One language feature that went away  from Tiger to Leopard, and
appears to be restored in Snow Leopard, is the ability to have
multiple windows up for an app with a different input keyboard for
each window.  So, if I am using TextEdit to compose one message in
French with a French input keyboard, and want to open another TextEdit
window to compose a message in Russian with a Russian input keyboard,
I should be able to do that in Snow Leopard.

Cheers,

Esther