Wow, I'm glad to hear other people are struggling with this.  I'm not
crazy after all.  I would like to thank Anna for the great advice.  It
worked for me.  I do have to say that I would also like to get the old
iTunes functionality back however.  how did you figure that out?!
Wow.  Anyways, I do think this was an iTunes bug, not a SL one.
    I think it might be good for all those who are experiencing these
bugs with the playlist browser to compile a list of other bugs we are
encountering and we should collectively write to Apple with these.  It
might help them try to get things back the way they used to.
     The major problems I'm encountering include this one, as well as
the inaccessible tables in the iTunes store.  If anyone else is having
these problems, please go ahead and let Apple know.
     Ok, forgive me for the long post.  Here's hoping things get
better for us.
Justin