Hi,

To have your mp3 audiobook show up under audiobooks instead of music,
select all tracks and use "Get Info" (Command-I) to edit.  iTunes will
ask whether you really want to edit multiple tracks. Just press return
to indicate that you do.  In the Multple Item information window, VO-
Right arrow to the "Options" tab and press (VO-Space).  Then navigate
(VO-Right arrow) to the pop up button for Media Kind and change this
from "Music" to "Audiobook" (VO-Space and use your arrow keys).  Next,
navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the pop up button for Remember Position
and change this from "No"  to "Yes".  This will remember your place in
the track.  Finally, navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the pop up button
for Skip when shuffling and change this from "No" to "Yes".  This will
omit your audiobook tracks from random shuffle play.  Press return (or
navigate to the "OK" button and press it with VO-Space) to commit your
changes.

The tracks should vanish from the Music library and reappear under
Audiobooks.  Finally, make up a smart playlist to play your book. I'm
assuming that your mp3 files are tagged to identify the book in the
album title and that the individual tracks are also tagged and
ordered. Either find the "Make Smart Playlist" menu option from the
File menu on the iTunes menu bar or use the shortcut, Command-Option-
N. Navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the rules section and interact (VO-
Shift-Down Arrow).  You're going to create two rules:
<Album> <contains> Name of your book
<Play count> <is> 0
  Press (VO-Space) the first pop up button and change it from "Artist"
to "Album" (by arrowing up or by quickly typing the first few letters
of the keyword).  VO-Right arrow  past the "contains" pop up button to
the text field and type in the album name. (You can change the pop up
button for "contains" to "is" if you want an exact match, but either
should work).  At the end of the first rule, VO-Right arrow to the
"Add" button and press it (VO-Space).  Then VO-Right arrow to the next
rule.  Change the pop up button to "Play Count". The remaining
arguments should read "is 0".  Stop interacting with the rules section
and VO-Right arrow to make sure that "Live Updating" is checked (which
it should be by default), then either press return to commit your
changes or VO-Right arrow to the "OK" button and press it with VO-
Space.  Then type in a name for your smart playlist.

Play your audio book from your smart playlist.  As each track is
played, it's play count will increment to 1, and the live updating
feature will cause it to drop off the smart playlist, so that the next
unplayed track is always at the top of the playlist.  Since iTunes
remembers the position within your current track, your current
position is always bookmarked.  If you want to reset your play count
to 0, just select all tracks and use the contextual menu in the songs
table to "Reset Play Count" and you can reuse your smart playlist.

HTH

Cheers,

Esther