JP,
    There is a voice command thing that allows you to speak the number you
wish to dial.  You should try this before you make up your mind.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionar...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jean-Philippe Rykiel
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:01 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: iPhone, my first impression

Dear all,
The first thing I saw, sorry, heard, was a demo video on Apple's
accessibility page. It was really impressive, and I already knew that
mastering such a revolutionary interface could not be achieved in a day.
Well, never mind, I was excited enough to start calling shop after shop in
Paris to see if there was one available to try out. And so here I was, this
very morning, in a phone store in Paris, my hands on this new magic toy.
I was glad I had read part of the instructions before I came, and activating
voice-over on the iPhone was quite easy, much to the astonishment of the
vendor.
I started fiddling and was soon surprised about how quickly I was able to
make friend with the objects on the object. It's really fun to manipulate
indeed.
Unfortunately, it was impossible to take the iPhone for a walk as it was
stock inside a kind of anti-theft display case and so I tried to imagine how
I would use the iPhone as I'm currently using my Nokia. And that's where I
think I found a limitation to this wonderful interface. Don't misunderstand
me, I absolutely admire the technical prowess, but you see, the first thing
I need a phone for is to phone people. With a physical keyboard, it is
actually possible to dial a number while walking in the street and holding
the phone in one hand, same for SMS. The problem with the iPhone is that you
can't rely on tactile information  at all, and I'm afraid that using
voice-over for something as simple as dialling or typing text can only be
slower than using a physical keyboard.
So my bottom line is that the iPhone is probably a wonderful pocket computer
that can be used as a phone, but I don't see it as the ideal tool for
actually calling people.
This sensation I want to share with you only came after 15 minutes of
playing with the iPhone and I would love to know what someone who's been
using it for a longer time thinks .
Cheers,
JPR

http://myspace.com/jeanphilipperykiel