Hi Pam,

activities are a pretty neat feature. Let's say, in Safari, if you always
wanted quick nav to turn on when you went to the browser, you could set it up
so it would do so when you opened Safari, as an example. It's a way of
automating tasks so Voiceover can do some of the work, leaving you to be more
efficient.
I don't know if it still is, but I found that activities (at least using the
quick nav example) tended  to slow Voiceover's performance, but the principle
is fantastic.
HTH,
Rachel.