I have actually heard that one adapter does work, I think it's called the max headless. Basically, it's designed to be connected to an HDMI port on a computer such as a server that is accessed remotely. Video cards will not enable high definition unless they think an HD monitor is connected to them, and this adapter enulates that. But yes, you should not need this in order for the computer to work correctly. Apparently windows and linux work fine on these computers without a monitor, so it's probably a bug in mac OSX.