Well, I’ll give you that, Barry. :) Based on that support document, you seem to
be right that make layout vertical is for languages that write vertically.
However, I still can’t reconcile that with what I was told by sighted
colleagues that it changed the page layout from landscape to portrait. Maybe
they were wrong, or maybe there was something else going on. Or maybe this is
part of a bug in Yosemite. Would be good if someone with access to eyes could
verify whether that option changes the page layout, the text direction or both.