There are several things you need to think about and check here. Did you try
changing file > page setup. There's a specific landscape/portrait setting there
which is by default on portrait. Also, right in the print window when you use
cmd-p or do file > Print there's a place to choose between landscape and
portrait. Also, if you do format > make vertical (which I'm not sure is exactly
the same as portrait, you can't work with vo by arrowing up and down because it
appears to stay on the same line but you can interact and still arrow and
vo-arrow. Furthermore, it is not correct that voiceover is not working as you
try to arrow up and down a line. What is actually happening, or so it appears
to me, is that since you have set it to vertical layout it is moving character
by character. When I kept pressing down arrow after many presses it moved to
the next line. So I tried opening a file with the layout set to vertical. Then
I typed a letter of the alphabet on each line and sure enough when I arrowed
down it moved down and said a different alphabet letter each time.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: