Hi Erik, Klyph and others,

Thanks for your responses.  I’m beginning to find my way thanks to your tips.
I can see that after all this panic I will be able to use the Western Digital
Drive.  Shame about their native application but as long as I can use it,
that’s ok.  I’ve written to them but I am not sure they care.  Shame on them
too!

I have created my own account and I have found my private folder as well as the
public folders.  One question I have, when you create an account for yourself
or somebody else for that matter, do you also create a volume, i.e. partition
the drive?  In Western Digital speak they call these things shares.  Is this
actually a partition?  In finder I can see a volume with the same name as the
name of my account and Voiceover says volume.  Is it a partition?

Many thanks again.

Andrew