Since there were no further mentions of OS or application one other hint is if
you are on UNIX most applications can have standard out piped to pager program
like more or less. (Those are two separate programs and Less has more features
than more). Also when I was doing builds using the terminal I would make sure
to hit command K  before the build and the terminal application is configured
to keep all scrolled output. So I could run make walk away and then later
review the full output with the VO commands.

Another technique I often use is to take advantage of the tee command. With
this command you can log all output to a file and also see it on screen.

Best wishes,

Jonathan