It's important to notice what is said along with "open with". I suspect it
said: "open with: collapsed disclosure triangle" and then to the right of that
it had the "preview" you saw. Now this can be a little confusing because it's
possible to also just be at a place where it only says "open with"; that's just
to the right of the "open with" that has the collapsed disclosure triangle.
What you need to do is expand this disclosure triangle. Doing vo-space on it
should do this. Once you do this, go to the right and you will see a pop-up
with your choices. Choose the one you want from the pop-up. Then close your
pop-up and to the right there's a phrase "use this application to open all
documents like this one, and to the right of that there's a change all button.
Do vo-space on that You will be asked if you are sure you want to change
thisand you can do cancel or continue. Then do cmd-w and you are done. In the
popup to choose your player, if it isn't listed there will be an "other"
choice, which opens a browser for you to find the application and choose it.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: