The reason you are confused is that I and others gave you more than one
alternative and that has to be confusing.
The way that will work for you even if you have subfolders in your folder is by
terminal.

If you open terminal it should start you out in your home directory. So in
terminal type the following:

open -a /Applications/VLC.app myfolder

Only don't really type "myfolder" but the path to the folder you want. If you
don't know how to do paths you may need more explanation; let me know and I'll
try to help further. Note that there is a dash before the letter a in the
command above.

The folder will open in vlc and start playing music. Then if you want to make a
permanent playlist for it, do cmd-s in vlc and make the playlist. When you have
typed the command in terminal and pressed return and vlc starts to play you
should be moved into the vlc window so you should not have to switch windows
before doing cmd-s.

--
Cheryl

I tried and tried to turn over a new leaf.
I got crumpled wads of tear-stained paper
thrown in the trash!
Then God gave me a new heart and life:
His joy for my despairing tears!
And now, every day: