Hi, The best way to restart into windows from OS X is to get the app bootcamp.
Its free! It will live in the extras menu and you just click it and pick
restart into windows. As far as going the other way, on my system, I simply go
to the windows start menu  then go into shutdown and select restart. After that
the system reboots into mac OS X. When I’m in windows I can access macintosh hd
but can’t write anything to it, just copy from it.
Hope this helps! Jeff