I also use a MacBook Air 13 inch. It has 8GB ram 256GB ssd and an I7 processor.
I use it for everything including audio/video editing and windows
virtualization with no problems.
My first Mac was an iMac 22” but it gets very little use since buying the MBA.
If you want a laptop, get the Air either 11 or 13 inch, beef it up with extra
ram and processor and at least 256 SSD and you’ll have a great machine capable
of doing most everything you’ll need.
BTW: the new MacBooks
 that they just announced don’t have any built-in USB ports and you need to use
a thunderbolt adaptor for USB connectivity which I think is a minus not a plus.
I’d stick with the tricked out MBA instead.