Hello Brian,

After making certain you have a good backup of your system, I suggest you:

1.
Delete all of your mail server settings. And then reconfigure them from
scratch.  Rarely acknowledged by Apple, it is possible to use several different
server addresses and settings to retrieve iCloud mail.  This is because of
Apple's little known legacy policy.  I personally, last year experienced iCloud
slow-down because I was using what was effectively outdated server settings in
MS Outlook.  While I don't think this is the case, in your current situation,
it never hurts to be sure.

2.
Reset the system PRAM.  To reset the PRAM, power on the Mac while pressing
Option+Command+R+P until the startup chime is heard, twice.  It may be
necessary to perform this several times until you are successful.  It can be
tricky.

3.
Rebuild your entire Mail database.  This can be achieved from within the Mail
application menu system.

4.
If all else fails, simply create a new user account on your Mac and, while
logged into that new user account, configure an iCloud email account in Mail
and see if you continue to experience any lag time.

Good Luck,

Mark