Hello Phil,

I have never used Pages to create ePub documents.

I currently have two novels published in the iBooks store and the application I
use and strongly recommend, on the Mac that is, is an application called
Storyist.

Over the years I have worked with the developer and he has made the application
VoiceOver accessible.

Storyist may be more than you need but I wanted to post the link and a
description here on the list for anyone who may be in the market for a high
performance publishing application that is VoiceOver accessible.

Produce submission-ready manuscripts and screenplays
Storyist provides a rich text editor with support for comments, images,
headers, footers, and style sheets so you can create properly formatted
manuscripts and screenplays. And Storyist comes with manuscript and screenplay
templates so you can focus on the writing, not the formatting.

Get a high-level view of your story
Storyist lets you sketch out a story using index cards and then refine it with
customizable plot, character, and setting sheets. When you're ready to put
words on the page, Storyist can even display your index cards next to your
manuscript as you write.

Keep all your writing organized and accessible
Storyist organizes your novel manuscripts, screenplays, research, and other
project-related writing and can store them in the cloud so you can access them
quickly wherever you are.

http://storyist.com

Good Luck,

Mark