If he wants to open Mail, then compose a new message, all with speech, does he
get VoiceOver feedback? That is, does VO say anything when Mail launches, or
the message composition window appears? I'm hoping the total lack of speech is
something odd on my system.

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com