Because we live in the real world and people come up with improved features
over time.

That’s just silly.

Of course there will be upgrades.  Features change, computing needs change,
operating systems change.  Is code today sloppy sure I think so but of course
there will be improvements whether the code is well written or being cleaned up
from sloppy development efforts.

Maybe I’m missing your point, entirely possible I don’t claim to be the
sharpest tack in the box but I don’t have a problem updating or not updating
depending on the need.

In general though and you may disagree but I like the VMWare products.  I’ve
been exposed to Xen at my present gig and boy do I miss VMWare.:)