If you tab, that might work. I'm not sure why you're seeing that behavior and
I'm not. If you stop interacting once, does that take you out of the table?
I've never had a problem with doing this, and I've tried it on every OS since
10.7, so I'm not sure what other suggestions to offer. As others have said
though, online articles seem to suggest that just disabling Find My iPhone and
iCloud overall on the device in question will do this automatically, so you
could just try that and then use iCloud.com to verify that the device is gone.

Have a great day,
Alex Hall
mehg...@icloud.com