Hello Brian,

I'm not Chris but, as I understand your dilemma, the problem is that you have
not yet successfully booted into your USB drive.

Normally, I recommend that a blind a low vision person, working alone, use the
Startup disk option located in the System Preferences, to subsequently boot
into the USB drive upon restart.  However, it sounds as though you have already
erased the internal drive so this is not an option.

Here's how it works:

You must successfully boot into your USB drive in order to enable VoiceOver via
the key combo Command+F5.

Do the following:

While the Mac is powered off, hold down the Option key and keep it held down
until you hear the startup chime; after which, you may release the Option key.
At this point, you will see a list of all of your bootable devices, connected
to the Mac.  If, as you say, your internal drive has been erased and is
therefore not bootable, it will not be listed.  Understand that one cannot use
VoiceOver in order to select the drive, using this method. You may use the
arrow keys to highlight any of the items in the list but there is no VoiceOver
feedback.  Once you select the drive you want, press the Enter key.  It may
take as long as 5 minutes for the computer to boot into the USB key.  Once it
does, you can then enable VoiceOver via the key combo Command+F5.

Mark