Wow Mark, you're lucky. I normally have to wait about 15 minutes minimum! before my USB drive boots. Or, are you talking about an installer volume, not a full fledged OS image. Also, have you really had success hitting the option key and releasing right after the chime? I'm not in the least bit doubting you. It's just that I've normally had to keep it held for about another 10 seconds after the chime finnished. That might be slightly overkill, but I know it didn't happen instantly if I released when the chime went away. Would like a little clarification on this, if you don't mind.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "M. Taylor" <mk...@ucla.edu>
To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2015 8:05 PM
Subject: RE: Help with rolling back to Yosemite as I am stuck

Hello Brian,

I'm not Chris but, as I understand your dilemma, the problem is that you have not yet successfully booted into your USB drive.

Normally, I recommend that a blind a low vision person, working alone, use the Startup disk option located in the System Preferences, to subsequently boot into the USB drive upon restart. However, it sounds as though you have already erased the internal drive so this is not an option.

Here's how it works:

You must successfully boot into your USB drive in order to enable VoiceOver via the key combo Command+F5.

Do the following:

While the Mac is powered off, hold down the Option key and keep it held down until you hear the startup chime; after which, you may release the Option key. At this point, you will see a list of all of your bootable devices, connected to the Mac. If, as you say, your internal drive has been erased and is therefore not bootable, it will not be listed. Understand that one cannot use VoiceOver in order to select the drive, using this method. You may use the arrow keys to highlight any of the items in the list but there is no VoiceOver feedback. Once you select the drive you want, press the Enter key. It may take as long as 5 minutes for the computer to boot into the USB key. Once it does, you can then enable VoiceOver via the key combo Command+F5.

Mark