Well, Apple are certainly doing it, but they take a different tack: they merely
punish you if you say “No”.  But at least you can actually say “No”.

I am worried about the MS direction.  Even if I don’t move to Win10—and I so
far have absolutely no intention of doing that—there’s still all the creepy
telemetry updates that M$ are backporting to their other OSes.  Right now I’d
like to stay on 8.1 with Classic Shell (a really good combo, BTW) but for all
the updates that are nagging and spying.  Reports are that even with all the
telemetry turned off, it still phoned home, and although I’m not entirely sure
if that’s actually true now that MS fixed the supposed problem that pushed it,
the only option if you want to avoid the Win10 upgrade reminders and telemetry
collection on 7 and 8.1 appears to be to either disable or remove certain
updates.  And that seems to require a continuous vigil on the part of the
administrator, to the point where, actually, I might have to stay away until
the dust is cleared up.

More discussion on the audiogames.net thread here, with further links:
http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=16895

list.