The FBI asked the owner of the phone to change the iCloud account password,
with the result that the iPhone didn’t back up to iCloud, which would have
provided a way for the FBI to access recent (if incomplete) data.  Hence there
followed the question of whether or not the FBI is complicit in furthering this
precedent by engineering the case to require it, and therefore whether or not
Apple should help them in their objective.  Something about not ascribing to
malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but you never know
with the Feds. :)

Apple now says this is about civil liberties.  I think this is a rather strange
comment coming from the CEO of Apple—or at least it would certainly have been
if the CEO were still Steve Jobs.  I'm fairly sure that if liberty is your
objective, Apple isn’t the right platform provider.  Still, I accept Tim Cook’s
personally principled stand in this affair, and genuinely hope good comes of it
in the long run.  you can’t have too much liberty, and it’s tempting to think
that he’s being entirely sincere and is simply unaware of the caveats of what
he is suggesting as a solution to government overreach.  Unfortunately, that
doesn’t change my belief  that half-measures are inadequate.  Much as I’d love
Apple to keep the US government from such extreme forms of intrusion, or for
Apple to leave the US for somewhere more privacy-respecting, I doubt very much
that this will happen, because ultimately business is more important than
principles.  It doesn’t solve all the other problems of a central point of
failure, either, and it’s not clear to me that the world would be any less free
with better cryptography in it, except perhaps for control and convenience
freaks like Apple.  So Apple is still left with the problem of how to engineer
their products so that this simply cannot ever happen again.

That is my opinion, anyway.  You get to choose yours. :)

list.