I think I may have cleared the problem though Apple certainly are slipping. I always regarded areas labelled as groups as areas to interact with and investigate. However the group in this dialogue box is not a group at all to begin with and you will find if you interact with it, it says empty group. However despite it being to begin with, not a group at all it is however an unannounced button. Only after pressing this group as a button will other group items appear.

Basically this log in screen appeared half way through a maintenance update and therefore seems to take no account of your log in preferences.

I got it to work by

1. Turn on Voiceover.
2Although you appear to only have sleep restart and shutdown as your available buttons the area labelled with your user name and labelled as a Group is also actually a button.
3. Press VO space on where it says what ever your user name Group is.
In my case it says David Griffith Group.
4. After pressing Vo Space on this group a password field will then appear.
To see this with Voiceover you need to interact with the group
5. interact again with the edit field to enter your normal password.
6. I pressed Enter after this
and after a few seconds Voiceover then announces that the update is installing and eventually you will return to familiar territory with your Mac.

I hope this helps somebody else experiencing this problem.
David Griffith

David Griffith