I hope that my earlier email came through explaining in detail what I found and the eventual solution. In brief you have to treat the user group element on the logon as a unannounced button on the logon screen.

The problem was caused by a login required after a maintnance update which required a restart. I have never before encountered this screen before when I have agreed any OS maintenance update. Normally after an update the Mac restarts into the updated OS without any intervention on my part.

. On this latest update though the update stalls and will not complete unless you start Voiceover manually and log in using the instructions I posted earlier.
Now the update has completed hopefully this problem will disappear.
David Griffith