Depends on the school in the U. S.  Some contracts say in large print
one thing such as "end user" owns, but in small print there is some
wiggle room for the organization.  The organization still however,
may have to proceed through legal meens to get the dog back.  In
other words they have to have a lot of evidence.  Although, there
have been a few cases where they hadn't gotten enough and local
athaurrities have had to prosecute.  A few stories have gone around
over the past 20 years or so about schools seezing dogs back
sometimes very promptly, don't know how much some of them are true or
not

But also the organizations over here are private, or have non-
government funding, I don't know about such schools in Europe if
there's any Government money or EU laws governing them, you guys
would have to tell me that, but if there Government funds or specific
EU governing laws, that may be why they have the power to retain
ownership of the dog and the user is solely user only.

Whereas a State agency here could technically determine your computer
usage if they are paying for it unless you save up and get your own,
or finance it as I did mine.  Maybe that's why it's now 7 years old,
thus older than dirt in the world of computers.  I think my windows
machine was around before rocks became dirt *lol.*  Well, maybe not,
it just runs that way *lol.*