I love conversations like that! It's a rare treat for me when
someone comes up and says, basically, "You're different from me and
that fascinates me, and I want to learn."  Usually what I get is
"You're different from me and that makes me afraid, so I'm going to
control what I fear so that it can't hurt me."

Growing up, I was taught that "It's your task to educate the sighted
about the blind."  In adult life, I realized that not only was this a
pointless and thankless task, but it was a very heavy cross to bear,
one that I had not asked for.  Now, when someone is courageous enough
to confront me as different and therefore stimulating, I feel
privileged to talk to them; the rest of the people I don't bother
trying to educate, because all the words in the world will not
convince a scared or superstitious or xenophobic person to change
their thinking patterns.  Spent a half an hour with such an individual
explaining how blind people use a computer or a dog, and they'll still
shriek in panic and grab at you when stairs are present, or start
talking to people around you about what you need, etc.  Being cute and
female never hurts, either. :)

Mark BurningHawk Baxter

Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
MSN:  burninghawk1...@hotmail.com