It's not only the "Churche of apple".  I'm not really sure I fit the furver.  I
do regularly use mac and ios, but also android and windows via NVDA.  I'm
co-owner of a site for android users with disabilities.  Window-eyes wasn't my
first screen reader but it was my best loved after window-bridge.  It was hard
for me to watch for years as window-eyes development sagged and the product
fell further and further behind the curve.  The deal is, the mainstream or
universal design model works much better than the commercial model.
Accessibility remains ontop of the curve, not six months to a year behind.
Accessibility as part of the operating system means that devices are plug and
play and the disabled users have access to key functions such as instalation,
updates, and recovery modes.  Then theres the cost distrobution which means
that accessibility is no extra cost to the user.  Apple was in a unique
position to be able to set the bar for a universal access model, but they
weren't the first and they're not the only.  With android and so many linux
distrobutions stepping up to keep pace with apple and being successful doing
so, there's no way to shrug off universal access as "just an apple thing".
Even with NVDA being as good a product as it is, it's still not fully
integrated into windows and doesn't provide out of box access to core funtions.
 As long as we have to download software and drivers to get windows up and
running it will fall short in terms of accessibility.

I'm sorry about the demise of window-eyes,  But I kept my sma up and did my
part and it was never enough.  Where-as on my modern devices I get a free
screen reader upgrade with every new operating system and the upgrade is
generally stable and has useful new features.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf
Visit the out of work bum for your chance to win one of 10 KNFB Reader or
Nearby Explorer for IOS or android!
http://www.theoutofworkbum.work
Also check out my website for inclusion to the android platform for persons
with sensery, physical or cognitive disabilities:
http://www.inclusiveandroid.com

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 6:21 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu <listse...@me.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah, I get that as members of the church of Apple there is a certain
> jubilation at the idea of the death of commercial AT.  What I was saying was
> that, actually, I think this will hurt, while we have competition in the
> marketplace.  I was quite the GW fan, you know (my first screen reader) and
> at least this aspect of it makes me sad.  They were (and still are) very
> receptive to the idea of Mac users using Windows VMs with Window-Eyes inside,
> and that’s still an excellent option.
>
> Oh, well.

> list.

> ---