Hello Lynn,

I have both a Mac and a PC.  The following instructions have been verified
on my PC but I'm sure they will apply to the Mac version of iTunes, as well.

What I do on any of my converted audiobooks and podcasts in the Windows
version of iTunes is:

1.
Select the file or files to be modified in iTunes.

2.
Open the Shortcut menu and select Get Info.  A multi-tabbed Dialog Box
appears.

3.
Under the Options Tab, place a Checkbox next to the Remember Playback
Position Item.

4.
Save the changes and, if necessary, sync my portable iTunes device.

If done correctly, regardless of the circumstances, not including a system
crash, playback will resume from last track time position when next accessed
on either the computer or your iTunes portable device.

Note that purchased Audiobooks already have this item checked.

Good Luck and Enjoy,

Mark