Hi Lynn,

The easiest way to do what you want is to download the "RestartAt"
AppleScript from Tim Kilburn's VoiceOver Downloads page:

http://homepage.mac.com/kilburns/voiceover/downloads.html

I'm going to shortcut my explanation and point you to the last
detailed description I wrote of how to use this from the
macvisionaries archive:

http://www.mail-archive.com/macvisionaries%40googlegroups.com/msg09299.html
(Re: finding playback position in ituens, was creating ringtones)

Skip the first 3 paragraphs (which were about setting start and stop
times for making ringtones), and start reading  at paragraph 4, which
begins, "An easier way to make these adjustments is to get a copy of
the "RestartAt" AppleScript from Tim Kilburn's VoiceOver Downloads
pageā€¦"

The rest of the post describes how AppleScripts work, and how you can
set this up.  Basically, for any track that you start playing in
iTunes (whether podcast, audiobook, music, movie, etc.), if you select
the track, and then run "RestartAt" (which will appear as a menu
option in an AppleScript menu on your iTunes menu bar once you
download the AppleScript and put it in your Library/iTunes/Scripts
folder), you'll be prompted for the time at which you want to start
playing the track.  If you carriage return, it will use your current
position (which you'll also be informed of in the dialog window).

HTH.  Just make sure that you actually started the track playing and
paused it before you run the script.  There's a shortcut sequence that
used to guarantee the track was selected, but with all the recent
tweaks in iTunes behavior, I wouldn't want to try running down the
sequence and checking the circumstances under which that works right
now -- simpler to just tell you to make sure the track is "active".

Cheers,

Esther