From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com [mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Granados
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:36 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: I'm really growing to hate this years crop of laptops

Hi Gary, so I’m going to grab the plume system that our friends Mary from this
list and the Android list and Warren pointed out.  They look very good.  In
your case this is probably perfect.  Put them in bridge mode, attach to your
existing router, configure with the android or iPhone app and place one in each
unit and around your property.  This way your tenants will connect to their own
AP.
        Ubiquiti is decent stuff and very very reasonably priced.
        I have never bought one of the really cheap routers but the Link I had
was maybe $150 or so and is still kicking after 13 years.  As long as you make
it through the burn in period these things should last and last and last.

I have some unix boxes on my network here at work that have 10 year or more
uptime and these have rotating disks.  (And sadly were never patched so I’m
decommissioning them but the point is gear should last a long time.

> On Jun 8, 2017, at 4:27 PM, gary-melconian <gmelconian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Scott, I have heard this  in the  tech shows   as well. they are promoting
> the fac that these routers use cheap Chinese parts an that’s  why they wear
> out over a 2 to 3 year time frame which I find hard to believe.if you get a
> good quality router it should last a good 5 to 10 years no matter how hard it
> works. I have both ubiquity  enterprise routers in my office in my house an
> they have  been going for a good 5 years now and no issues  what so ever. I
> always update the firmware in them which is  running open source router
> firmware inside of it.   also thining about getting he erro mesh routers for
> the hosue as well. what do you think about mesh rotuers now a days do they do
> a good job as far as getting ehose dead spots in a 3000  square foot house
> which is broken up into 4 units.

> list.

> ---

list.