Hi,

these sorts of problems are quite difficult to nail down due to the
inconsistency of its presentation.  As I've mentioned, I've only experienced
this problem once with the phone app, and total loss of speech nowhere else.
Sometimes, speech is lost for a second or so after I press the side button to
unlock my iPhone, but a swipe left/right brings it back, so, I don't believe
that requires a restart.  There are a lot of variables that might be causing
the issues for the people that are experiencing this, such as background apps
that are running, certain settings that one user has vs another, version of the
iPhone etc.  Numerous hard resets also can corrupt a system, so, in some cases,
a restore will mostly fix things.

Some questions that might help are:

• Does it lose speech at the Lock screen or elsewhere?
• Does it lose speech when you're in a specific app?
• Is your iPhone in a specific app when you unlock it, or is it on the Home
screen?
• do you have Background App Refresh enabled?
• do you have an external device connected such as a Braille device or external
bluetooth speaker?

Later...

Tim Kilburn
Apple Teacher